28 Feb 2013

The Caledonian Hotel - a commission

I realised I hadn't posted about this, very remiss of me, but things got a little hectic last year and somehow it got lost in the mix.

So better late than never!

Last year I was commissioned to make 4 pieces of work for the Salon Prive in the new Galvins restaurant in the refurbished Caledonian Hotel in Edinburgh.

The commission was to produce 4 pieces based around the seasons, with a food element.

These are the pieces I produced.  I haven't made it up to Edinburgh to see them in situ yet, but hope to this year.  I used birds that were either native to Scotland or migrate to Scotland, and used maps of Scotland, trying to match the colours with the season.

The first is Autumn

Autumn © Claire Brewster 2012























I used geese for Autumn as they migrate from Russian to Scotland in the Autumn.

Autumn © Claire Brewster 2012

Autumn © Claire Brewster 2012

















































Then we have Winter

Winter © Claire Brewster 2012























I chose Pheasants to represent Winter as that is the hunting season for them. And they are such beautiful birds, particularly the male.  I use a WW2 map for this, which I thought had sort of wintery colours.

Winter © Claire Brewster 2012






































Then Spring

Spring © Claire Brewster 2012
I chose an Osprey for Spring as they migrate to Scotland in the Spring and they were endangered but now their numbers are increasing.

Spring © Claire Brewster 2012


And finally Summer

Summer © Claire Brewster 2012

The obvious choice for Summer was grouse, they are an iconic Scottish bird and also Summer is the season when they are hunted

Summer © Claire Brewster 2012

Summer @ Claire Brewster 2012









No comments:

Post a Comment